Sunday, February 19, 2012

Those aren't ants!

Bug of the Day is the termite. Though sometimes called white ants, termites are not ants, and some are not white. Of some 2,000 species, only about 40 are found in this country. Many more are tropical. These highly socialized insects live in colonies composed of four distinct castes. The king and the queen, and the winged termites which can become kings and queens of new colonies, form the first caste. The enlarged and almost helpless queen produces thousands upon thousands of eggs. Most of these hatch into whitish, blind workers who make up the second caste. Soldiers with large heads and jaws, and nymphs which take over the task of reproduction should the king or queen die, make up the last two castes.With the aid of protozoa living in their digestive tracts, termites feed on wood and do some $40,000,000 worth of damage annually to buildings in this country. The young pass through six stages in two years as they develop into adults. Tropical termites build huge nests or mounds, often higher than a man.

There's my description. I went to Casey's party yesterday, and Aaron went to Caesar's. It was a big pool party. I swam around in a hot tub stabbing people with a foam sword. We had a pillow fight. Also I half played Evan's i Pad. There were these plants that give off money and attacked zombies and I picked up the money.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, I always learn so much from your posts. They are so informative and entertaining. Thank you so much. The party sounds like a lot of fun too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, termites sure do a lot of damage. I wonder how many Pokemon cards you could buy with $40,000,000 . . .

    I'd like a plant that gives off money too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could probably by 10,000,000. I know! Ten million Pokemon cards!! I'd like that.

    Single Pokemon cards cost about four dollars. Me put up new blog on bloggu! Not kidding.

    ReplyDelete